Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Word from Lawson

This is speech I wrote for speech class about adoption. What my sister Jillian wrote inspired me and I had to write a persuasive speech. Lawson

Does your family make you mad sometimes? Do you have a brother or sister that annoys you? Do you wish you had a bigger bedroom and more toys to go in your room? Are you always thinking about your self and the next thing your parents can buy you to make you happy?

Well….

I never really wanted to adopt until one night my mom brought in some DVDs Christian World Adoption had sent us. They sent us the DVD because there were over 200 children in need of homes at that time. My mom and I stayed up very late like 1:00, 2:00 in the morning watching all of the children; we couldn’t stop. That DVD just touched my heart and I told my mom we need to adopt some more kids. I watched many, many children my age and your age that were very poor and needed a home. They would sing and smile on the DVD even though they knew this meant they would leave all they had ever known behind. My mom, dad and I prayed and read scripture. These are some of the verses that we liked…… James 1:27 “Religion that God our father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” And Romans 8:15-16 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out,”Abba! Father! The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God! One of the reasons that adopting is a good thing is because there is over 150 MILLION ORPHANS in the world. I think that is a lot. One thing that pains me is that If we are Christians, Have we forgotten that we are selves are adopted!!!!! When we become Christians God “ADOPTS” us into His family and we become children of God. My family and I picked out kids to adopt from the same DVD that my mom and I watched. Their names were Maddie, Eska, Haddie, and Yordy.

I used to get mad over little things. I used to not like my brothers and sisters as much. I used to hate working and doing chores. I liked my bedroom because I was the only one in the room and it contained all of my stuff. All of that has changed since we have adopted and so has my heart. I still get mad, but not over little things, I enjoy playing with my brothers and sisters. Since they have come, I have really learned that working is good. When they came to America all they did was work, work, work. Now, I enjoy working. I share my bedroom with two little boys…Tamu and Yordy. I like sharing my bedroom with them because every morning I can teach them how to be a godly man by reading the Bible and doing a devotion with them. This is the story about my little brother Tamu. When we pray in our bedroom I have them get on their knees. One Wednesday we were in church and Pastor Carl said “Let’s pray” and immediately Tamu got on his knees and folding his hands just like I taught him in our bedroom. Hopefully, Yordy can catch on that quickly also.

The girls we have adopted have been a blessing to me…

Haddie Hope: I enjoy playing with her because she is athletic and fun.
Maddie: God answered my prayer for a best friend when he gave us Maddie…she and I have a lot fun together because she loves soccer and we have great conversations…she is also a Christian.
Eska: She has a wonderful smile and is very funny
Bethlehem: she can speak English well and is very nice and giving.

Reasons you should adopt:

God has first adopted you
You become more Christ like and less selfish
You will be blessed

Lawson


3 comments:

Ruth Ann Mansell said...

WOW!! Am I ever proud to be your Grami :)
Love you, Hugs

Ruth Ann Mansell said...

WOW!!!!! Am I ever proud to be your Grami!!!!!
Love and Hugs

Unknown said...

Wow I mean i just loved that.Sam